TELL THE FDA WHAT YOU THINK BEFORE JULY 9, 2014
Did you know there has been a battle between the FDA and Cigar Industry for over 4 years? Now, the FDA is close to making its ruling on how they will regulate premium cigars. The window for public comment closes July 9, 2014.
The FDA proposes 2 options:
- Option 1 – Premium Cigars will be regulated like all other tobacco products (ie. Cigarettes, etc.) Costs would skyrocket as manufacturers would have to get FDA approval on every cigar blend. FREE cigars would be a thing of the past.
- Option 2 – Many but not all Cigars we consider as “premium” would be regulated by FDA Regulations. FDA has not decided on what is a “Premium Cigar”, ie. a “Premium Cigar” must have a Price of at least $10.00 per cigar.
Here are some suggestions:
- I oppose the imposition of a costly pre-market review process for premium cigars.
- I oppose a ban on sampling. Product sampling is a part of the unique experience at a premium cigar shop.
- I oppose the creation of an arbitrary price point for a cigar to be deemed “premium.”
- It is critical that the FDA consider the difference between premium cigars and other tobacco products when drafting the final regulations. Premium cigars are an adult product, without the habitual use patterns of mass-market tobacco products.
- I urge you to exempt premium cigars from the final FDA regulations.
TELL THE FDA WHAT YOU THINK! HERE’S HOW: Go to http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FDA-2014-N-0189-0001